The Eric Johnson signature model is widely acknowledged to be one of the best, if not the best, production model Fender makes (meaning: for a non-Custom Shop guitar). We 100% agree. These are phenomenal guitars that offer a quality way beyond what the price tag would have you believe.
There are a few versions of the EJ Strat, this Tropical Turquoise finished beauty being one of the bound rosewood fingerboard versions. As a player, Eric is known for his...umm...exacting standards, shall we say? Fortunately for us mortal players, that same attention to detail was brought to the design of his signature Strat and the results yield an incredibly resonant, easy to play, killer sounding guitar.
A quick scan of the specs reveals the tweaks Eric made: 12" radius, staggered tunes which negates the need for a string tree on the headstock, 1957 style body contours, a vintage style tremolo with silver painted block, specially voiced EJ pickups, and 1957 style string recesses with no paint between the base plate and the block. While it might sound trivial to some, all of these tweaks and attention to detail, no matter how minor, really add up. How? Tone, resonance, snappiness, liveliness, playability...simply put, it's a better mousetrap.
Condition: Very Good. Light signs of prior ownership - the finish is sinking into the body (like a vintage guitar), there are some light indentations scattered around the body and a few surface marks, no fret wear, great setup.
We have to tip our hat to Eric Johnson. Not only is he an amazing player, he's delivered us players a killer Strat at a very reasonably price. Nicely done! Priced with hardshell case.
- 2-piece, deep contoured, '57 Style Lightweight Alder Body
- Tropical Turquoise nitro finish
- Quartersawn Maple, Soft V Shape, nitro finish
- Bound Round Laminated Rosewood
- Pearloid dot markers
- 12" Radius
- 21 highly polished medium jumbo frets
- 3 specially voiced EJ single coil pickup with countersunk mounting screws
- Master Volume, 2 Tones, 5-way switch
- American Vintage Synchronized Tremolo
- Fender/Gotoh Staggered Vintage Style Tuners, no string tree
- Nickel/Chrome hardware
- 3-Ply Parchment 8-hole pickguard
- 25 1/2" Scale Length
- 1.650" Nut Width
- No tremolo cavity cover
- Hardshell case