Incredibly resonant and lightweight, this European Spruce topped I-35 has a very piano-like chime with a rich midrange that's very satisfying to play sans amp. The top wood seems to add a complexity to the already great I-35 platform - extended lows / low-mids....sweet top end, all via Lollar humbuckers that match perfectly with this guitar.
Clean or overdriven, there's something about the tone of this guitar that sounds older, call it vintage if you like. Makes sense given that spruce is a softer wood than maple, hence less reflective and warmer. To be sure, there's plenty of top-end sparkle in this guitar, it just has a bit more low-midrange content and a softer attack which we find really appealing.
These spruce topped I-35s have become a favorite of everyone in the shop for the aforementioned reasons. Love 335s? This subtle twist on a classic should definitely be on your list.
Priced with a hardshell case.
- European Spruce Top
- Mahogany Back & Sides
- Inset maple center block
- Top/back/neck binding
- Slim contour F-holes
- High gloss nitrocellulose lacquer finish
- Unbound "Haircut" headstock
- 15 degree headstock angle
- Rosewood or ebony peghead overlay with inlaid Collings logo
- Rosewood fingerboard
- Long mortise and tenon neck joint w/contoured heel
- 22 frets, neck joins the body at the 19th fret
- Medium-Fat "C" neck shape
- 12" Fingerboard radius
- 1 11/16" Bone nut
- 24 7/8" Scale Length
- Medium 18% nickel-silver fretwire
- Mother of pearl dot fingerboard inlays
- Fully adjustable truss rod
- Black pickup rings and amber top hat knobs
- Dual Lollar Low Wind Imperial humbuckers
- Switchcraft toggle switch and output jack
- Nickel Gotoh SG301 tuners w/ vintage-style buttons 1:18 ratio
- Recommended string gauge - D'Addario EXL-115 (.011"-.049")
- Serial Number: I35211168
- Approx 7lbs