Michael Swart has been building beautiful, vintage-minded amps down in Wilmington, NC for quite some time now and we couldn't be happier to now represent his killer line of amps and pedals! Swart players include Jeff Tweedy (Wilco), John Flansburgh (They Might Be Giants), Greg V, Matthew Sweet, etc...
The MOD84 represents Michael Swart's shift away from his favorite tube - the 6v6 - and towards the more British-flavored EL84. The result? An incredibly fun and inspiring combo that can cover a ton of genres while throwing a curve ball into the typical idea of what an EL84 sounds and behaves like. EL84s typically break-up quickly, have a gorgeous "chime" to the top-end (think Vox amps for this classic sound)...The MOD84 is able to create a much higher headroom tone with all the harmonic richness Swart's are known for, and it sounds surprisingly American in tone.
We had a blast running single coils, humbuckers, and P90s into this beautiful little combo. The classic Swart richness is present - gorgeous midrange, balanced EQ, killer old-school break-up - and man oh man, the reverb and trem? So so good. The three way / mini-toggle switch lets you adapt to various pickup outputs and tonal qualities. Meaning, you can beef up single coils or gently thin out fatter humbuckers.
Michael has built a very solid reputation in the industry for his gorgeous sounding, looking, and extremely well made amps. The MOD84 makes it easy to see why - just a killer, inspiring, and ultimate fun amp! We're sold.
- All Tube circuit ~15w twin EL-84 High Class A Bias AB
- Swart's first EL-84 amp ~ Push-Pull EL-84 Power!
- Cathode "AUTO" Bias (no need to bias)
- 12AX7(2) - 12DW7(1)- EL-84(2) - GZ34 or 5Y3(1)
- Tube Rectification ~ GZ-34/5Y3 for compression/earlier breakup
- Top Mounted Controls for Front/Back Access
- 3-Way Interactive EQ Switch
- Tube Reverb via 12DW7 with Spring Tank
- Tube Tremolo with Custom Speed Sweep/Depth
- Hi/Lo Inputs for better PU Output matching
- Hand wired point to point ~ Made in USA
- Standby Switch ~ Warm-up up extends tube life
- Carbon Comp Resistors for BEST TONE
- Teflon covered High Purity Copper Wire
- Mallory, Sprague & JJ Caps, selected for Application
- 8ohm Custom Wired Heavy Duty Output Transformer
- Dedicated 2 button foot switch
- Extra Large Rubber Feet for Vibration/Protection
- Solid, finger-jointed Pine Cabinet ~ Vintage Inspired Coverings
- Celestion Ruby speaker
- Dimensions: 26 x 15.5 x 10.5 39lbs