Think of the Martin D-40 as a gateway drug to the enticing world of pearl-top Martins. Introduced in 1997 and discontinued in 2005, the D-40 was offered as an affordable upgrade from the 28's and 35's but not as dear as the 41-45 models. Ostensibly built off the D-28 platform, with scalloped bracing, Sitka spruce and Indian rosewood, the D-40 featured 45-style hex fingerboard inlays and an abalone rosette. The classic herringbone purfling was replaced with ivoroid and black and white purfling lines for a cleaner, more modern look.
For a 20 year old guitar, the condition on this beauty is remarkable.Very little wear to speak of with a few minor dings on the top. Set-up is perfect: excellent neck set, low action and enough saddle height showing to make further adjustments. Minimal fret wear with straight neck and functioning truss rod.
- Sitka spruce
- Indian rosewood back and sides
- 1 11/16" nut width
- Scalloped rear-shifted bracing
- Abalone soundhole rosette
- Abalone hexagonal fingerboard inlays
- Bound fingerboard and headstock
- Abalone CF Martin peghead inlay
- Martin branded Schaller gold tuners
- Original molded plastic hard case