Players who favor the versatility of semi-hollow body guitars but find most lacking a certain refinement will love what Bill has achieved with the GCS-1 and GCS-1ES models.
Versatility is the name of the game here, and we weren't disappointed when initially sitting down with this guitar. The build quality is very high and setup feels great. The neck carve is exactly what you'd want from a great vintage semi-hollow. Which is to say, it's the perfect middle ground between a slim/fast carve and a chunkier/vintage style carve.
Plugged in the 1ES delivers classic semi-hollow tones that are right at home in a variety of genres - it really depends on what you're asking from it, your rig, your hands...you know the drill. The main differences between the standard 1 model and the 1ES model- the laminated spruce top yields a warmer, richer response while the ebony fingerboard provides a smooth and snappy feel to the neck.
Great guitars will follow where you lead and this guitar can certainly do that. As an added bonus, you can split the humbuckers into single coils via a push/pull tone control which might element the need to lug several guitars to the gig. Hard not to love that, right?
All in all? This is an incredibly cool guitar that defies many of the stereotypes that accompany some "import guitars". For our money, you'd be hard pressed to find a better guitar in this price range (and higher!). Well done, Bill!
Priced with hardshell case.
- Body Dimensions: 14 5/8" lower bout width, 1 5/8” depth
- Top: Laminated Spruce
- Back: Laminated Sapele
- Body & Neck: Eastern Mahogany
- Fingerboard: Ebony, 12” radius, 24.75” scale length, 1.70” nut width, dot position markers
- Neck: Medium C shape, comfortably contoured
- Pickups and electronics: Custom-wound Kent Armstrong humbuckers, 3-way toggle, 2 volume, 2 tone - one of the tone controls is a push/pull which splits both humbuckers
- Hardware finish: Chrome
- Tuners: Wilkinson, smooth 19:1 gear ratio
- Binding: Multi-ply ivory/black surround the peghead, neck, and body back, with additional plies surrounding the body top and back