This Candy Apple Red 290 is proof positive that Collings has absolutely mastered the Les Paul Special style guitar. Imagine a more refined, dare we say elegant, version of a vintage LP Special. The neck shape, weight, playability, tones...they're just right. Let's jump in...
The basic building blocks of a 290 are a slab mahogany body, mahogany neck, wraptail (or tune-o-matic) bridge coupled with killer sounding P90s - in this case, Throbak 52/54's. They're full of chime, midrange snarl, gorgeous cleans or Marshall half-stack ready overdriven tones. Think of them of the best of both worlds - the middle ground between a Fender-style single coil and a Gibson humbucker. They are indeed single coils, but they have more body - oomph if you will - and output than a Strat or Tele. They also have a much more forward midrange response but never get as bloated or heavy handed as some humbuckers. Truth be told, they're our favorite style of pickup. Try them out, you'll see...single coil clarity with the girth and punch of a humbucker. What's not to love?
Priced with hardshell case.
- Select solid mahogany body and neck
- Candy Apple Red Nitro Lacquer
- 15 degree headstock angle
- Ebony peghead overlay with inlaid Collings logo
- Bound Rosewood fingerboard
- Long mortise and tenon neck joint w/contoured heel
- 22 Frets
- Medium-Fat "C" neck shape
- 12" Fingerboard radius
- 1 11/16" Bone nut
- 24 7/8" Scale length
- Medium 18% nickel-silver fretwire
- Grained ivoroid dot fingerboard inlays
- MojoAxe Tailpiece
- Black pickup covers and black top hat knobs
- Throbaks 52/54 P90s
- 1950's style wiring scheme
- Dimarzio 500K pots and Jupiter Yellow Vintage Tone capacitors
- Nickel Gotoh tuners
- Serial No. 290211683
- 7lbs 8oz