The SoCo, named after the South Congress district of Austin, TX, represents a rethink of the classic laminate construction semi-hollowbody. It's 15" wide body and single cutaway design create a very comfortable, balanced guitar with increased low end punch.
While executing their own vision for this style of guitar, Collings still maintains one foot squarely in the Gibson world. The neck carve and overall vibe, down to the gorgeous tobacco sunburst, conjure up a great, vintage ES-335. That dry, papery midrange of a great semi-hollow is present when strumming acoustically - which in our experience always points to good things when plugged in...
...and plugged in, this guitar is a monster! Wired with a set of Throbak SLE101+ humbuckers, the bridge pickup is full of Les Paul bite - midrangy (in a wonderful way) - while the semi-hollow construction adds that classic ES-335 "air" to each note. The neck pickup is full, articulate, and gets very close to the coveted Allman Brother's Fillmore tone (that's long been our standard benchmark for a good humbucker tone).
Condition: Excellent. Only light signs of prior ownership are evident.
If you've been searching for a great semi-hollow but other guitars on the market have left you wanting, give this SoCo a shot - you won't be disappointed. Priced with hardshell case.
- Select figured maple semi-hollow body
- Inset maple center block and mahogany neck
- Ivoroid top/back/neck/binding
- Rosewood fingerboard
- Long mortise and tenon neck joint w/contoured heel
- 22 frets, neck joins the body at the 19th fret
- Medium-Fat "C" neck shape
- 12" fingerboard radius
- 1 11/16" Bone nut
- 24 7/8" Scale length
- Medium 18% nickel-silver fretwire
- Mother of pearl dot fingerboard inlays
- Dual Throbak SLE-101+ humbuckers (Throbak card not in the case)
- Serial No. 18142