It's hard not to be biased towards certain guitars at times. Take, for instance, this incredibly cool satin black 290. As if the looks weren't enough, it's also loaded with Throbak 52/54 P90s and a Schaller wraptail bridge. Imagine a more refined, dare we say elegant, version of a vintage LP Special. The neck shape, weight, playability, tones...they're just right.
The basic building blocks of a 290 are a[nbsp]slab mahogany body, mahogany neck, wraptail or tune-o-matic bridge coupled with killer sounding P90s - in this case, Throbak 52/54's. They're full of chime, midrange snarl, gorgeous cleans or Marshall half-stack ready overdriven tones. To be sure, these Throbak P90s sound absolutely incredible.
If it's been years since you played a 290, you owe it to yourself to revisit this model. Collings is at the top of their game with the 290, no question. Priced with original hardshell case.
- Select solid mahogany body and neck
- Non-grained, aged Ivoroid fretboard binding
- Rosewood fingerboard
- Long mortise and tenon neck joint w/contoured heel
- 22 Frets, neck joins the body at the 16th fret
- Medium-Fat "C" neck shape
- 12" Fingerboard radius
- 1 11/16" Bone nut
- 24 7/8" Scale length
- Medium 18% nickel-silver fretwire
- Throbak ’52/’54 P90s
- 1950's style wiring scheme
- Dimarzio[nbsp]500K pots and Jupiter Yellow Vintage Tone capacitors
- Gotoh tuners[nbsp]
- Schaller Signum wraptail bridge
- Serial No. 290201627