There are two types of folks viewing this listing:
- Someone who has never heard of or seen a Parker and found themselves asking, "What is that??"
- Someone who not only knows about Ken Parker's forward-leaning designs but is thrilled to see one of his less common basses on offer - especially one that is this beautiful.
No matter, you're here and we're glad for it!
Ken Parker first shook the guitar world in the early 90s with the introduction of his radical Fly model. Like all great design/art, the Fly's design forces you to confront it.
"Is this great? Is it not? Do I love it or hate it?"
Truth be told, we've always loved Ken's design for its sheer originality. It's really tough to do something fresh and new when it comes to guitar / bass design. Coming up with something original deserves to be applauded in our book (quick aside - if you really want your mind blown by Ken's work, click here).
This gorgeous 2003 FB-4 Fly Bass is technically from the 2nd year of production, though Fly Basses began production in October of 2002. Like its 6 string guitar cousin, the Fly Bass uses Ken's striking body contours along with Parker's patented carbon fiber coated mahogany neck / glass and carbon fiber fingerboard construction.
The name of the game is pretty straightforward - versatility, playability, stability, and beautiful aesthetics, tradition be damned. Utilizing 2 custom DiMarzio Ultra Jazz hum-cancelling pickups, an active Fishman EQ, and Fishman piezo system, you can cover an extraordinarily wide range of tones that range from P to J to upright....none dead on copies of those sounds, but they're in that world as a reference point.
Condition: Excellent +. Very few signs of prior ownership are present. This bass was babied and it shows.
Priced with original Parker gig bag.
- Body, Sitka Spruce with Quilted Maple on the front and back
- Neck, Mahogany wrapped in a skin of carbon fiber
- High Gloss Polyurethane finish
- Patented Parker glass and carbon fiber fretboard
- Parker's unique, conical section, radius 10" - 15"
- 34" scale length
- 24 medium size, hardened stainless steel frets, .045" high, .095" wide
- Lightweight aluminum locking Sperzel tuning machines
- GraphTech nut, width: 1.6"
- 2 Custom DiMarzio Ultra Jazz hum-cancelling magnetic pickups with active Fishman EQ
- Fishman piezo system, individual string elements
- Master volume, magnetic pickup pan, magnetic pickup active 2 band EQ, piezo volume, piezo active tone