We're just as impressed with the Martin D-18 Authentic Aged model as we were with the recent D-28 of similar configuration. Noticeably lighter, noticeably more resonant and open-sounding -- it's a no-brainer if you're in the market for the best D-18 currently coming out of Nazareth, PA.
The ultra-thin finish has bee artfully distressed to mimic years of play; and we love the fact that it doesn't come off as garish or extreme in any way. Smooth playability, and a wonderful soft-V neck carve that's exactly as a '39 replica should be.
Did we mention the sound? It bears repeating: this is a fantastic sounding guitar, with the fat, dry punch that would easily fool an onlooker into thinking they were hearing a bona fide prewar D-18. With deluxe hard case from Martin!
Photos feature model currently in stock, but the video sample shows a previously sold example of this model.
- Adirondack Spruce top with VTS (Vintage Tone System)
- Mahogany back, sides & neck
- Dreadnought 14-fret body size
- 25.4" scale length
- 1 11/16" nut width
- Scalloped Adirondack spruce Authentic 1939 rearward shifted X brace pattern
- Authentic 1939 neck shape with standard taper
- Hide glue construction
- Faux tortoise pickguard, endpiece and binding
- Bone nut & saddle
- Ebony fingerboard, bridge & heelcap
- Old-style 18 Abalone fingerboard inlay
- Aged vintage gloss finish
- Authentic belly bridge with 2 1/8" spacing
- Aged Nickel Open Gear tuning machines with butterbean knobs
- Martin 545V Harptone Case