In the 5 or so years we've been representing Saul Koll's work, we've had a handful of his guitars pass through the shop that are truly special, very rare Koll instruments - this 2015 Ultra Glide is one of them. In short, this is Saul at his peak.
This custom ordered Ultra Glide features a slew of upgrades: a hollow, trestle-braced mahogany body, bound in tortoise with vintage German celluloid purfling; spruce top; a 10-14" radius Brazilian rosewood fingerboard with Pearl Euro inlays; New Rose headstock shape with a Brazilian rosewood veneer and pearl Koll logo inlay; Throbak humbuckers with Brazilian rosewood rings; custom made Macassar ebony and pearl knobs; clear plexi deco jellybean pickguard; Hipshot tuners with tortoise buttons...we told you this one was special.
The Ultra Glide is essentially a wider Super Glide Almighty (Koll's top-of-the-line offering outside of custom orders like this). It balances beautifully and weighs in at 5lbs 10oz. At an angle, the spruce top reveals some gorgeous bear claw figuring and adds a beautifully mellow, broken-in feel to single note runs, and a slight fatness to chords.
The Throbak humbuckers, combined with the TonePros AVT wrap bridge, bring the guitar into a refined ES-330-like place - it'd be right at home in any setting you'd reach for an ES-335 or ES-330. The hollow body means it might not handle super high volumes quite as well as a laminate semi would, but it'll definitely hang in louder contexts as well as an ES-330 would. The playability is excellent and the Gretsch-like medium C carve will feel like home for most any player.
Condition: Excellent+. Only finish swirling and a very small, fingernail like indentation on the back of the neck reveal signs of prior ownership. This was a very well cared for guitar and it shows.
As we mentioned at the start, this is a special guitar that easily showcases why Saul Koll is so revered in the guitar world. Just an outstanding instrument! Priced with hardshell case.
- SERIAL NUMBER: 15425
- MODEL: 2015 Koll Ultra Glide
- FINISH: Amber burst nitro
- BODY: Mahogany, hollowbody with trestle bracing
- TOP: Spruce, double F-holes
- NECK: Mahogany, medium C shape
- HEADSTOCK: New Rose shape, Brazilian rosewood veneer, Koll logo pearl inlay
- BINDING: Tortoise with vintage German celluloid purfling on body, multi-ply on F-holes/headstock, single-ply on neck
- FRETBOARD: Brazilian rosewood, 10" to 14" compound radius
- FRETBOARD INLAYS: Pearl Euro inlays
- FRETS: Jescar .090 x .055 medium jumbo
- NUT WIDTH: 1.687" hand-cut unbleached bone
- TUNERS: Hipshot
- SCALE: 24.75"
- BRIDGE: TonePros AVT wrap
- PICKUPS: Two ThroBak humbuckers with custom Brazilian rosewood rings
- CONTROLS: V-V-T-T, 3-way toggle
- KNOBS: Custom made, Macassar ebony and pearl
- PICKGUARD: Clear plexi Deco jellybean
- WEIGHT: 5lbs 10oz