One of the things we feel makes Saul Koll such a brilliant builder is his ability to reference other guitars without simply copying them or making a "me too" guitar - his builds are uniquely and brilliantly his own. For example, the beautifully applied checkered binding recalls one of the most iconic of all 12 strings - the Rickenbacker - but when applied to Saul's original body shape, along with a Harmony-esq stamped F hole, Curtis Novak gold foil pickups, and Gretsch-like thumbnail fingerboard inlays, you arrive at something entirely fresh and new. Truly an example of the sum being greater than the parts.
Once in hand, this Duo Glide's satin finish, comfortable neck carve, and light overall weight work together to create an instant connection with the player. It feels and reacts more like a 6 string guitar than any 12 we've ever played. There's typically an element of struggle that accompanies playing a 12 string - the neck is too big, the spacing a little too wide, or in the case of the aforementioned Rickenbacker, the spacing is too tight (never mind the awkward reversal of the octave string's orientation!) - but we deal with it because they sound amazing, right? Imagine having effortless playability and 'that' sound...
Speaking of which, this guitar sounds incredible. Curtis Novak's take on the extremely popular gold foil pickup produces both chime and punch, warmth and clarity. All the classic 12 string tones are here, period.
Condition: Excellent - very little signs of prior ownership are present.
If you've been on the hunt for a great 12 string electric, we strongly suggest you put this Duo Glide at the top of the list. This is easily one of the best, and coolest, 12 strings we've ever played. Priced with custom Koll Deluxe G&G case.
- SERIAL NUMBER: 16524
- DATE COMPLETED: 1/13/17
- MODEL: Duo Glide 12-string
- FINISH: Honey Burst, matte nitro
- BODY: Chambered mahogany
- TOP: Big Leaf Maple, primitive F-hole
- NECK: Birdseye maple, set neck, medium C shape
- HEADSTOCK: Walnut veneer, Koll logo decal
- BINDING: Checkerboard binding on top, multi-layer on fretboard
- FRETBOARD: Rosewood, 10" to 14" compound radius
- FRETBOARD INLAYS: Pearl thumbs
- FRETS: Jescar .090 x .055 medium jumbo
- NUT WIDTH: 1.687" hand-cut unbleached bone
- TUNERS: Gotoh
- SCALE: 24.625"
- BRIDGE: Gotoh 12-string
- PICKUPS: Two Curtis Novak gold foils
- CONTROLS: V-V-T / LP toggle
- KNOBS: Koll custom
- PICKGUARD: Half heart, pearloid
- WEIGHT: 6lbs 11oz
- STRINGS: 10-46
- CASE: Koll Deluxe Custom G&G Hardshell