A double bound, faded "Chocolate" 3-Tone Sunburst with a dark rosewood fingerboard gets us weak in the knees every time. Perhaps it stems from deep-seated memories of seeing Andy Summers play one with the Police when we were growing up learning how to play? No matter, the bottom line is that its slightly elevated look makes us immediately want to pick it up and play - that's the whole point, right?
What makes this LTD Custom Shop Tele unique is the use of a "CuNiFe" Wide Range Humbucker in the neck position. As popular music roared with the fatter tones of humbuckers at the dawn of the 1970s, Fender hired acclaimed pickup designer Seth Lover to create a distinctly Fender-flavored take on a higher-output dual-coil pickup. The resulting Wide Range pickup used large bobbins and threaded CuNiFe-rod magnets to achieve its distinctively brilliant sound, as heard on that era’s Telecaster Custom, Thinline and Deluxe guitars.
In combination with this model's hand-wound Texas Special bridge pickup, this Tele gives players a remarkably wide tonal range, recalling almost every era of Tele in one guitar. A cool proposition for anyone looking to have a one-and-done Tele...though, where's the fun in that?
Priced with hardshell case.
- Builder: Fender Custom Shop
- Model: LTD Cunife Tele Custom
- Serial Number: CZ562164
- Weight: 8lbs 0oz
- Materials: 2-Piece Alder, Maple, Rosewood
- Finish: Nitrocellulose, Faded Chocolate 3TSB, Relic
- Neck Shape: 60's Oval C, .79-.93
- Electronics: Wide Range CuNiFe Humbucker (neck), Hand-wound Texas Special pickup (bridge), V, T, 3-way switch, Dual Stack wiring (optimized for both humbucker and single coil pickups)
Hardware: Fender, compensated brass saddles
- Measurements: 25 1/2" scale, 1.65" bone nut, 9.5" radius, 6105 frets
- Case/Papers: Fender hardshell, CoA, case candy