1957 is considered by many Fender players to be the year for Stratocasters. Some of this might be due to certain changes Fender made in the construction of these guitars - they switched to Alder bodies, ceased using Bakelite parts, started carving the necks with a more pronounced V shape to them, and the finishes were a bit thinner compared to the earlier builds. It likely doesn't hurt that Eric Clapton favored '57 Strats, no doubt sealing their fate as coveted guitars amongst aspiring guitar gods.
Having been lucky to have a pristine '57 Strat in the shop not too long ago, we can say with confidence that the Fender Custom Shop has captured all the nuances that make these '57 guitars so special. The 57 Soft V carve of this gorgeous Sherwood Green Metallic build is a joy to play on, with just enough of a V to help with bending but not so much to cause discomfort for rhythm playing (which is to say - it feels really close to what our real '57 felt like).
Plugged in, the mixture of pickups - hand-wound '57 (neck), Fat 50 (middle, reverse wound), Texas Special (bridge) - and Fat 50s wiring and 5-way switch yield the perfect vintage-flavored Strat experience. Beautiful, glassy cleans...clear overdriven tones...really inspiring stuff since each pickup position has been optimized.
If you're looking to capture some of the magic a great '57 Strat is famous for, without selling your car to get into it? This is your guitar. Priced with hardshell case, CoA, case candy.
- Builder: Fender Custom Shop
- Model: LTD '57 Stratocaster
- Serial Number: CZ561078
- Weight: 7lbs 10oz
- Materials: 2-Piece Alder, Maple
- Finish: Nitrocellulose, Aged Sherwood Green Metallic, Relic
- Neck Shape: 57 Style Soft V, .85-.99
- Electronics: Hand-wound 57 (neck), Fat 50 (middle, reverse wound), Texas Special (bridge), Fat 50s wiring, 5-way
- Measurements: 25 1/2" scale, 1.65" bone nut, 9.5" radius, 6105 frets
- Case/Papers: Fender hardshell, CoA, case candy