One of the most remarkable things about Leo Fender's designs is how malleable they are based on who's interpreting them. Some builders explore the unrefined "two pieces of wood bolted together" idea, leaving the basic design to speak for itself.
On the other end of the spectrum are builders like New Hampshire-based D'Pergo Guitars, who refine and perfect every square inch of the guitar - every screw, every fiber of wood, every wind of the pickup wire, etc...are by design, weighed and evaluated with one goal in mind - to build the finest, best sounding, best playing Strat-style guitar money can buy.
The devil is in the details and this beautiful 2015 Vintage Limited is full of them - the way there are no sharp edges anywhere on this guitar - especially the neck/headstock; the feel of the Vintage Offset C neck carve; the wood selection; etc...we could go on, but suffice it to say, there are an exceptional amount of man-hours put into these builds.
All of this effort is in the service of one goal - tone - and boy howdy does this guitar sound incredible. This is where the D'Pergo philosophy of "spare no expense" comes into focus and shows its merit.
This guitar is loud and resonant unplugged. Plugging into our fave Victoria Club Deluxe 2x10, we were met with killer 3-dimensional, muscular, clear tones. The bridge pickup is somewhat Tele-like, though not as spiky in the top end...the neck pickup is to die for....and the in-between positions are round, fat, clear, super touch sensitive....honestly, this is one of the best sounding new Strats we've encountered in a long time.
Condition: Excellent w/only light signs of prior ownership present.
We've got to admit, D'Pergo may just have achieved Strat nirvana. These are remarkable guitars!
- Vintage Limited
- Serial Number 483
- Mohave Tan Metallic
- Limited one-piece, light weight, recovered Swamp Ash body
- Limited, one-piece, quarter sawn, certified primary growth Maple neck/fingerboard
- Satin Nitro neck finish
- .945" Vintage Offset C neck carve
- 10" radius
- Vintage bone nut, 1.65"
- Custom medium-wide, nickel / silver (.041x.090) frets
- Black Phenolic fingerboard dots
- Custom, hand-wound, Aged Limited '50s Alnico III pickups
- Vintage style 18:1 tuners
- 3-ply parchment pickguard
- Polished nickel hardware
- Vintage RF tremolo w/milled vintage steel block
- Limited electronics package
- Strung w/.010 strings
- Custom D'Pergo Vintage hardshell case by G&G
- 7lbs 8oz