Hard not to hear Jeff Buckley's voice - "Black beauty, I love you so" - from his beautifully moody tune 'Mojo Pin' when we popped the case on this gorgeous Black Beauty-themed City Limits Deluxe.
We've long been fans of modern builders doing their take on a classic design as you get the best of both worlds - jaw-dropping old-school looks and vibe coupled with flawless build quality and tones. Win/win, right?
Unlike an actual all-mahogany Gibson LP Custom, the Collings CL Deluxe still sports a maple cap on a mahogany body. What is noticeably lacking on this CL is the weight - this guitar weighs in at lbs oz - a very welcomed difference given LP Custom's typically weight around 10lbs (!).
Aside from those differences, this is a classic City Limits Deluxe - perfect build quality, playability, and tones. The Lollar Imperial humbuckers match up perfectly with this build. They deliver a clear and focused midrange, great punch, and medium output that sounds fantastic played clean, edge-of-breakup, or full out. They remain tight and focused at any gain level which makes them great for more complex chord voicings or woody lead runs where you can hear the pick attack and "chirp".
Highly recommended for players seeking a vintage-meets-modern LP-style guitar. We're sold. Priced with hardshell case.
- Premium maple top over mahogany body and neck
- Aged nitrocellulose lacquer finish
- Black/white top purfling
- Grained Ivoroid binding
- Parallelogram inlays
- Ebony peghead overlay with inlaid Collings logo
- Rosewood fingerboard
- Long mortise and tenon neck joint w/contoured heel
- 22 Frets, neck joins the body at the 16th fret
- Medium-Fat "C" neck shape
- 12" Fingerboard radius
- 1 11/16" Bone nut
- 24 7/8" Scale length
- Medium 18% nickel-silver fretwire
- Fully adjustable truss rod
- Dual Lollar Imperial humbuckers
- Gotoh tuners
- Recommended string gauge - D'Addario EXL-115 (.011"-.049")
- Serial No. CL211427
- 8lbs 7oz