Stunning, masterstroke of an f-style mandocello from A. Lawrence Smart. A luthier whose renown extends to all members of the mandolin family, Lawrence has built several complete matching mandolin quartets over his career, but a standalone mandocello like this is a rarer bird, indeed. The carved top and back plates are of Engelmann spruce and Red maple, respectively, with ebony fittings throughout, all under a French-polished varnish finish befitting the artful, handmade aesthetic.
To be sure, this is an exceptional sounding instrument, with a full-throated resonance, and an uncanny ease of playability that belies its size. Single notes spring forward, two-and three-note chord voicings resonate for days on end—this is instrument capable of all manner of light and shade.
Fit to inspire the intrepid solo mandolinist or help the local mandolin orchestra soar to new heights, yet equally adept to provide low-voiced drive behind a songwriter or small ensemble, here is as complete a mandocello experience as any of us are likely to encounter.
Includes custom Calton case.
- Florentine body with oval soundhole
- Engelmann spruce top in natural honey
- Red maple back and sides in vintage sunburst
- Maple neck in matching sunburst
- French-polished spirit varnish
- Ebony fingerboard, bridge, custom tailpiece, pickguard
- Ebony headstock w/ fern inlay
- Tortoise binding w/ white purfling throughout: top, back, fingerboard, headstock, soundhole, and pickguard
- Rubner tuners
- Calton case