The materials used on this custom Santa Cruz OM Grand exemplify the power and majesty of Old Growth tone woods. The spruce top on this beauty is from Richard Hoover's stash of Adirondack that cut in the 1930's! One strum of this beauty and we're hard pressed not to reach for the phone and upgrade all of our existing orders to this level. As you can likely see from the photos, the top wood is about as cosmetically perfect as it gets; and its combination of strength and responsiveness is unmatched amongst the other OM Grand models we've had. Compared to the European Spruce we often use on this model, we hear a drier, throatier sound, with incredible projection and snap. And we haven't even mentioned the back and sides: stunning quilted mahogany from the legendary tree now just known as The Tree. It imparts the power, crispness and crackle you'd expect from a great D-18, but the low end is intense, rich and dense in harmonic overtones. A bona fide best-of-both-worlds voice, and top-of-the-heap craftsmanship from the luthiers at Santa Cruz. With Ameritage case.
- Quilted mahogany back & sides from "The Tree"
- Old-growth 1930's Adirondack spruce top
- 25.4" scale length
- 1 3/4" nut width
- Brazilian rosewood bindings on body, neck & peghead
- Brazilian rosewood backstrip
- Adirondack bracing w/ hot hide glue
- Rosette & headstock veneer from "The Tree"
- Diamonds & squares fretboard inlay
- Gloss-finished neck
- Waverly tuners (snakewood buttons)
- Ameritage hard case