We're starting to see our next batch of highly anticipated Koll guitars trickle in...this Duo Glide, made from Oregon Alder, was the first case we popped open (to audible oohs and aahs).
This lightweight, chambered body Duo Glide has a gorgeous mid-century vibe that had us weak in the knees from the word go. The fit and finish (and overall concept) are top-notch, no surprises here - Saul's guitars have a wonderfully handmade feel that we've always found to be inspiring. Not to rush ahead here, but the star of the show here are the pickups, which are made by Curtis Novak. The AP-6 model, modeled after the Carvin made pickups found in early Mosrite guitars, sounded unbelievably great into a stock '68 Princeton Reverb Reissue (they also look pretty darned cool).
Imagine aspects of a Jazzmaster pickup crossed with a gold foil, with a pinch of P90 tossed in. Which is to say, a strong fundamental with a complex upper midrange and top end (hence the gold foil reference), and remarkable touch sensitivity. We found tons of inspiration playing either clean or overdriven, and really fell for the wide dynamic range these pickups have. They're really expressive, unique, and had us joyfully playing for quite some time....that's the name of the game, right?
Long/short? You want this, trust us! Priced with a Koll Deluxe hardshell case.
- SERIAL NUMBER: 21638
- MODEL: 2021 Koll Duo Glide
- FINISH: Natural nitro
- BODY: Chambered Oregon Alder
- TOP: Oregon Alder
- NECK: Mahogany
- HEADSTOCK: Glide shape, Macassar ebony veneer, Koll logo inlay
- BINDING: Single ply on body, neck and headstock
- FRETBOARD: Grenadillo
- FRETBOARD INLAYS: Pearloid thumbs
- FRETS: Jescar 55085
- NUT WIDTH: 1 5/8” hand-cut unbleached bone
- TUNERS: Gotoh Kluson-style
- SCALE: 24.625”
- BRIDGE: Schroeder wrap
- PICKUPS: Two Curtis Novak AP-6 (Carvin)
- CONTROLS: V-T with 3-way toggle
- KNOBS: Koll custom, clear
- PICKGUARD: Half-heart, gold plexi
- CASE: Koll hardshell
- 6lbs 9oz