In all honesty, we're tempted to just let Andy's pics do the talking with this staggeringly beautiful "Acid Wash" Quilt Top City Limits Deluxe. This guitar is simply a work of art. Looks aside though, you're probably wondering how it stacks up as instrument, right?
Simply put, guitars really don't get nicer than this both looks and build quality-wise. To say this is a Les Paul style guitar really doesn't begin to sum it up. Sure, it's that recipe - mahogany body, maple top, humbuckers, short-scale - but this is such an elegant and refined version of an LP-style guitar, it's almost in another league altogether. Think archtop level aesthetic details crossed with an LP and you'll be in the ballpark of this guitar's vibe in person - purfling, grained ivoroid binding, that top (!!), split parallelogram fingerboard and headstock inlays...it's just a stunning instrument on all levels.
Tonally, the Throbak ER-MXV's have great midrange but are always clear and open with just a touch of compression when you dig in. The bridge pickup has an ES-335 like bark and bite while the neck sounds woody, warm, and round (never muffled or wooly). A great combo to be sure - fitting for a guitar like this. "Expanded" Les Paul tones to match the "expanded" visuals.
Players looking for the ultimate, spare-no-expense LP-style guitar would be wise to check this City Limits out - you won't be disappointed. Priced with hardshell case.
- Premium quilt top over mahogany body and neck
- High gloss nitrocellulose lacquer finish over "Acid Wash" charcoal 'burst
- Unbound "Haircut" headstock
- 15 degree headstock angle
- Ebony peghead overlay with inlaid Collings logo
- Rosewood fingerboard
- Long mortise and tenon neck joint w/contoured heel
- 22 Frets, neck joins the body at the 16th fret
- Medium-Fat "C" neck shape
- 12" Fingerboard radius
- 1 11/16" Bone nut
- 24 7/8" Scale length
- Medium 18% nickel-silver fretwire
- Fully adjustable truss rod
- Dual Throbak ER Custom MXV humbuckers
- Dimarzio 500K Pots / Jupiter Vintage Yellow caps
- Kluson ABR-1 Bridge and Tailpiece
- Nickel Gotoh tuners
- Recommended string gauge - D'Addario EXL-115 (.011"-.049")
- Serial No. CL201324
- Approx 8lbs