CO-based Don Grosh and his crew are always so gracious with the ideas we put forth, and this new NOS Retro - we're unofficially calling a "GS-100" model - is a great example of their willingness to humor our build ideas. Basically, we thought it'd be cool to have Don and his team build a series of Guild S-100 Polara-inspired Strats. Why? Honestly, we have always loved the S-100 and thought it'd be cool to borrow some of its design language and apply it to a Grosh Strat, simple as that.
This guitar is just so incredibly cool and has some features that make it a one-of-a-kind:
Mahogany body and neck, Indian Rosewood fingerboard, three Grosh pickups w/chrome covers (all straight orientation), reflector knobs, reverse headstock with flamed maple veneer, MoP dots on just the 3,5,7, 9, 12, and 15th frets (ideas taken from a vintage S-100), white tuner buttons, and a volume for the neck pickup, a volume for the bridge pickup, and a master tone.
Pretty cool, no?
Like every Grosh we've ever had, this guitar sounds fantastic and yields a slightly more vintage voice vs other Grosh guitars we've had. Its long scale, twin volumes, master tone, and 3-way switch set up offer maximum versatility while being easy to operate. Rock, blues, jazz...you name it, if you're technique is dialed in and you've got the right pedals and gear you can do a ton with this one.
Priced with hardshell case.
- Builder: Grosh
- Model: NOS Retro GS-100
- Serial Number: 4115
- Weight: lbs oz
- Materials: Mahogany, Indian Rosewood, Flame Maple (headstock veneer), MoP dots (only on 3, 5, 7, 9,12, 15,)
- Finish: Nitro, (Custom) Vintage Red Burst gloss, satin (neck)
- Neck Shape: Medium/Large Roundback (.850"/.950")
- Electronics: 60's Vintage (neck/middle), 60' Fat with base plate (bridge), Grosh S/S/S, 3-way, Master Volume, Master Tone, Middle Pickup Volume
Hardware: Gotoh 510 Vintage 6-Screw Tremolo, Kluson tuners (white buttons), Black Reflector knobs
- Measurements: 25 1/2" scale, 1 5/8" bone nut, 10" radius, 6150 frets
- Case/Papers: G&G hardshell, CoA