Ever since we were kids and saw SRV playing a Hamiltone Strat in the "Couldn't Stand The Weather" video we've wanted to play one. The non-contoured body, Gibson appointments...that guitar just looked so damned cool! Leave it to Don Grosh and crew to humor our build ideas and man oh man did they knock it right outta the park with this one. We give you, the first ever MT-59 NOS Retro.
This is essentially a Grosh NOS Retro model. The specs that set it apart and make it unlike any NOS Retro you're likely to encounter are a non-contoured mahogany body with a gorgeous, non-contoured flamed maple top, bound fingerboard, trapezoid inlays, and gold top hat knobs. In short, a Strat dressed up like a Gibson.
Plugged in, this guitar proves itself to be very versatile thanks in large part to the clever blend control and bridge pickup base plate (a la Telecasters) and the mahogany/maple wood combo. There are no anemic bridge pickup tones on this guitar. On the contrary, you're presented with fat, stinging, beautifully compressed bridge pickup tones and all the classic Strat "cluck" and chime you could ever want in the other positions.
Playability and setup? Guitars don't really get any better. Effortless playability thanks to some of the best fret work we've ever seen (and that's all of Don's guitars, truthfully).
What can we say - this guitar absolutely blew us away when it arrived. A masterpiece, no two ways about it. Priced with custom fitted hardshell case.
- Mahogany Body, no contours
- Flame Maple Top - Flat top with White Binding
- Deep Vintage Cherry Burst
- Mahogany/Indian Rosewood Fingerboard, bound fingerboard
- Gloss Lacquer neck finish
- Medium/Large Roundback (.850"/.950")
- 10" Radius
- 1 5/8" Nut Width
- 6150 Medium Frets
- 25 1/2" Scale Length
- Gotoh 510 Vintage 6-Screw Tremolo
- Locking Kluson Tuners
- Aged White Pearl 3-ply Pickguard (front-routed)
- Gold top hat knobs
- Grosh 60's Fat pickups (bridge pickup with base plate)
- 5-way, volume, tone, blend
- Custom Fit Hardshell Case
- 7lbs 4oz
- SN 3934