California based Ron Thorn, now a Principal Master Builder at Fender's Custom Shop, is well known in the boutique guitar world for his creative, extremely well made solid body electric guitars under his former company's name, Thorn Guitars. He has also been the Fender Custom Shop's sole inlay provider, under Thorn Inaly, since the mid-90s. Which is to say, the man knows (more than) a thing or two about making world-class instruments.
The Grantura represents Thorn's take on the classic ES-335 formula, though it's far from being a mere 335 clone. Starting with the highest quality woods available, the Grantura utilizes in-house pressed laminate tops, backs, and sides, a lightweight center block coupled with spruce bracing, and Ron's unique dove-tail joint to ensure the best coupling between the neck and the body. A gorgeous Brazilian Burst, mother-of-pearl Tri-Crown inlays, and flawless binding up the visual appeal of this masterfully built instrument. When you think high-end guitar, this is what you picture - it's literally flawless.
(Quick side note: even the spec sheet that's provided in the case is made out of paper thin curly maple fillet. I mean, come on - does it get cooler?)
All of this perfection must come at a cost, right? Overly perfect feel, sterile tones...? Well, my friend, that's where you'd be incorrect. The Grantura is a joy to play - perfect playability coupled with a slinky, lively feel. The Throbak ER-Custom pickups are anything but sterile. They deliver fantastic semi-hollow tones - anything from classic jazz warmth to blues/rock bite are a breeze to dial in via the simplified 2 volume, 1 tone, and a 3-way setup. Think expanded vintage 335 tones - greater touch sensitivity, clarity, and extended top-end paired with all we love about a great 335. A pretty jaw-dropping experience, truth be told.
Condition: Near mint. Very few signs of prior ownership. Setup is perfect and all electronics work as they should.
The Grantura is simply an exquisite guitar in every regard. Players looking for a more refined take on the 335 - without sacrificing feel and tone - would be wise to check this beauty out. Priced with original hardshell case.
- Brazilian Burst, nitro finish
- Curly Maple Laminate Semi-Hollow w/F-Hole, 14.75" wide
- Cream body binding (top & back)
- Maple & Spruce full-length center block
- Korina neck, set-neck w/unique dovetail neck joint
- 10 Degree Tilt-back headstock
- African Blackwood fingerboard w/rolled edges
- Mother of Pearl "Tri-Crown" inlays
- Fat "C" Neck Carve, .880"-.980"
- 6150 Frets (medium)
- Ebony Headcap
- Hand polished frets w/hidden fret ends
- 1 11/16" Tusq nut
- 12" Radius
- TonePros Stopbar Tailpiece
- 2 Throbak ER-Custom pickups, Nickel covers
- 2 Volume, 1 Tone, 3-way
- Kluson Waffle-back tuner w/pearloid buttons (non-locking)
- Dunlop Dual-design Straplocks
- Switchcraft w/modified Electrosocket
- 10-46 strings
- Custom TKL "Trapezoid" hardshell case