When it comes to Fender lore, it's widely accepted that you want to focus on the pre-CBS era guitars (anything up to 1965, basically). While we don't disagree, there are lots of really great CBS-era Fenders out there too (hello Hendrix). Well, leave it to the talented crew at the Fender Custom Shop to replicate the magical CBS-era guitars with this fantastic 2017 '69 Dakota Red Strat.
From the wonderful feeling "1969 U" neck carve to the hand-wound '69 pickups in the middle and neck position, a hand-wound Texas Special occupies the bridge position, to the realistic Journeyman level aging, everything about this Strat is just right. Snappy, resonant, lively, and quite loud played acoustically...
While a U shaped neck carve sounds huge, keep in mind a U carve in the early 50s is a different animal than a late 60s U. It's a really comfortable shape that most any player would be right at home on. A touch of modern life presents itself in the 6105 frets and 9 1/2" fretboard radius - a welcome improvement - making this FCS built '69 much easier to play than a vintage '69 would be.
Plugged in, the slightly hotter Texas Special bridge pickup delivers classic Fender twang and bite while blending perfectly with the rounder, lightly compressed '69 middle and neck pickups.
Condition: Near mint (it is a relic). Very, very light fret wear is visible, otherwise, the setup feels fantastic.
We've gotten a handful of late 60s style guitars into the shop since becoming Fender Custom Shop dealers and have to say, they might just be our favorites! Priced with hardshell case.
- Aged Dakota Red Finish, Nitrocellulose Lacquer Finish
- Journeyman Relic Aged
- Alder Body
- Maple Neck w/Round Lam Maple Fingerboard
- 6105 Frets, 21
- 1969 U Neck Back Shape
- 25.5" Scale Length
- 9.50" Radius Fingerboard
- Bone Nut, 1.650" Width
- 69 Handwound Strat Neck Pickup, 69 Handwound Strat RWRP Middle Pickup, Handwound Texas Special Bridge Pickup
- American Vintage Strat Tremolo
- Schaller Fender Logo Tuners
- 3-Ply Parchment Pickguard
- Black Micarta Dot Position Inlays
- Vintage Modified #2 Wiring with Tone Saver Treble Bleed
- 5-Way Selector, 1 Volume, 1 Tone (neck and middle), 1 Tone (bridge)
- 7lb 13oz
- SN CZ531017